16 January, 2014

Supporting women and families!


 



On my summer road trip to the SW USA, last summer,  I was lucky to have an assignment to work on a project for The Shriver Report.  Great friend Barbara Kinney assembled a phenom group of women to do documentary stories about women living on the edge. Of course, with my love of the Navajo people, I recommended we do my shoot there.  

   Cut to this week as Maria Shriver unveils this years' Shriver Report.  It was launched with a high-powered Washington DC photo exhibit of our work, TV specials and Maria herself dropping the report off to President Obama.

   A few of my images here from the shoot of Jeannie James of Winslow, AZ who is raising her 3 grand-daughters while making a drive of 2 hours each way to work for the Navajo Nation social services.  I loved spending time with them and hope to visit them this spring and bring a few prints.  The strength of these women seen in the report is inspirational.  It was nice to see the support of The Shriver team for documentary, meaningful photography.

2 comments:

  1. That's incredible!! So proud all around and so great for you, this strong Navajo woman and others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, lyrical and powerful. Yes. Open our eyes and hearts. Nancy Bo Flood

    ReplyDelete